[Zope3-Users] Best Practices - Zopeproject Deployment

Kevin Teague kteague at bcgsc.ca
Mon May 26 19:58:05 EDT 2008

> So, I am now thinking that I will have to have instructions in my
> installation instructions that tell developers to edit the
> 'eggs-directory' line; correct?  Also they will need to install
> buildout
> (or zopeproject) and create a project space before doing the checkout?

You can avoid storing user specific information in your buildout.cfg
by creating a ~/.buildout/default.cfg file in your home directory that
contains user specific information:

[buildout]
eggs-directory = /Users/kteague/buildouts/shared/eggs

If you leave the eggs-directory line out of a buildout.cfg, and it
doesn't exist within a developer's ~/.buildout/default.cfg file, then
buildout will simply create an eggs directory inside the project and
put all of the eggs there. Quite tedious if you are working on a lot
of buildouts since you will have multiple copies of the same eggs, but
for production deployments you may wish for the entire buildout to be
placed in a single isolated location - or if your developer's are only
working on a single buildout-based project then they don't need to
worry about setting/using the eggs-directory setting.