[ZPT] zpt 1.0 feedback

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:48:31 -0500

Thanks for your feedback!

> # zpt/zope with go live
>
> a. we tried using the webdav features of go live with zope but ran
> into some trouble.  go live was not able to see or edit the raw PT
> source via webdav mode.  either go live or zpt/zope would cause zope
> to render the document and then overwrite the PT source with the html
> output.  i haven't spent enough time yet to investigate the exact
> source of the trouble.  ftp mode was fine.

This is probably with Webdav to port 80 or 8080.  Try port 90 or 9090,
the "source webdav" port.  (May require Zope configuration.)

> but ran into the trouble of the handling of "." in the object names in
> zope and go live not understanding (for example) that "index_html" is
> really html. probably a pure zpt solution with standard suffixes
> (.html,etc.) might be fine.  a design or style guide of good practices
> on using zope and go live together would be helpful.
>
> # zpt/zope
>
> a. html preview mode generates a URL (<name>/source.html) for browsing
> the html source.  Due to the additional directory in the name path, we
> were having trouble with broken images.  Part of my goal for using zpt
> is to allow for "demo" html to be equally viewable inside zope and
> outside as external files.  I would prefer to minimize these issues.
>
> b. we were not able to render the following zpt templates:

> <head>
>     <title>tag test</title>
> </head>
>
> The above template is modifed and stored as the following document:

> <head>
>     <title>tag test</title>
> </head>
> DUMMY
>
> Is this a feature or a limitation?

Try this:

                 ^^^^^^^^^

> c. TALES: what is the policy for allowing (or disallowing) nested
> single and double quotes in a string TALES expression?  I haven't
> checked yet, but I'm assuming the python TALES expression is identical
> to the python handling of nested quotes.

After the XML/HTML parser is  through with the attribute, &quot; and
&apos; have been replaced with " and ', and then the *only* processing
done before the Python parser sees it is changing of double semicolons
to single ones, in those cases where a semicolon is meaningful to the
TAL parser (define and attributes).

So you can use only one type of quotes effectively in a python:
expression: the type of quote you *didn't* use for the TAL attribute.

> d. TAL: is possible to construct an else/elsif construct using the
> condition statement?

You'll have to use a second condition element with a not: expression.

> e. TALES: can you provide a few more examples describing the "here"
> Optional Name?
>
> f. TALES: i'm not clear on the meaning or usage of the "modules"
> Optional Name?
>
> g. TALES: the "request" Optional Name is available but what about
> "response"?
>
> i. It would be nice to be able to specify have a "default" TALES
> expression type for an entire PT document (or having some other ways
> of helping to remove some of the additional typing effort required by
> zpt).
>
> # simple demo program
>
> a. we put together a very simple color chart demo using zpt.

Thanks!

Note, I'll leave it to Evan to respond to the remaining questions.