[ZPT] Other "sub-languages" with TAL and METAL

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:16:54 -0300

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:57:40AM -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Lalo Martins writes:
>  > One idea that was briefly thrown around Way Back Then (TM) is
>  > that, side by side with TAL and METAL, you could have other
>  > sub-languages, selected by their xml namespaces, eg::
>  >
>  > <td tal:repeat="item col" mylib:mystuff="fnordize">
>
> There are a couple of aspects to this.  If this other namespace does
> not affect the TAL/METAL processing, there's not a problem; it can be
> handled using a pre-processor or post-processor, and the
> implementation could be completely unrelated to the TAL package.  (I
> would consider separation to be a good thing.  The current conjoining
> of TAL & METAL is strictly based on performance considerations, and is
> not necessary for correctness of interpretation.)

Interpretation can be done in steps, agreed. As for
parsing/generating, this is a slightly more complex problem, I think.

> For namespaces which affect the interpretation of TAL/METAL, however,
> are another matter.  Stephan Richter & I spent yesterday afternoon
> working on getting the i18n stuff started, and it was a bear!  Those
> attributes affect the interpretation of the TAL attributes (not
> METAL), and the code generator is quite intricate and undercommented.
> We'll be thinking of things that can be done.

Oh yeah, I forgot i18n would be using a new namespace. So I
think I was lucky, this was a good moment to raise the issue. If
we can structure the parsing/generating code a bit better to
support new namespaces, this would benefit the i18n project, my
project and the future.

If you want help, I'm interested.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)      ---       http://www.BroDar.org/
Python Foundry Guide http://www.sf.net/foundry/python-foundry/