[ZPT] Other "sub-languages" with TAL and METAL

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:57:40 -0500

Lalo Martins writes:
 > One idea that was briefly thrown around Way Back Then (TM) is
 > that, side by side with TAL and METAL, you could have other
 > sub-languages, selected by their xml namespaces, eg::

There are a couple of aspects to this.  If this other namespace does
not affect the TAL/METAL processing, there's not a problem; it can be
handled using a pre-processor or post-processor, and the
implementation could be completely unrelated to the TAL package.  (I
would consider separation to be a good thing.  The current conjoining
of TAL & METAL is strictly based on performance considerations, and is
not necessary for correctness of interpretation.)

For namespaces which affect the interpretation of TAL/METAL, however,
are another matter.  Stephan Richter & I spent yesterday afternoon
working on getting the i18n stuff started, and it was a bear!  Those
attributes affect the interpretation of the TAL attributes (not
METAL), and the code generator is quite intricate and undercommented.
We'll be thinking of things that can be done.

Thanks for your comments!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>