[ZPT] Confused about Zope

Fernando Martins fmartins@hetnet.nl
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 01:56:45 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:
> Evan Simpson wrote:
> >
> >> The idea I was going on, though, is to *avoid* breaking from TAL--I
> >> wanted people to learn TAL then reuse those skills for non-XML.
> >
> > I suggest that TAL (as opposed to TALES) is so *small* that there is
> > very little knowledge there worth transferring to another domain.
>
> I beg to differ. Especially when they have to learn an
> alternative to TAL for a
> specific need that ends up being a whole new language like PTL.

As a newbie, I support this view. However, I believe (very subjective) that
the syntax <replace=".."> is a reasonable compromise because to go from ZPT
to it I just have to think everything is the same except that I don't need
"tal:x" and that's it.

Give me more differences to keep in mind and it's not worth it. In fact, I
suspect it would be even worth than having dtml as I might do more mistakes.

And I quite like the syntax as I get simpler to read code (better for
maintenance, etc) and no silly typing.

My 0.02 cents,

Fernando