[ZPT] Re: Confused about Zope

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha@swing.be
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:10:21 +0100

Fernando Martins wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:

>>>I suggest that TAL (as opposed to TALES) is so *small* that there is
>>>very little knowledge there worth transferring to another domain.
>>
>>I beg to differ. Especially when they have to learn an
>>alternative to TAL for a
>>specific need that ends up being a whole new language like PTL.
>>

> As a newbie, I support this view. However, I believe (very subjective) that
> the syntax <replace=".."> is a reasonable compromise because to go from ZPT
> to it I just have to think everything is the same except that I don't need
> "tal:x" and that's it.
>
> Give me more differences to keep in mind and it's not worth it. In fact, I
> suspect it would be even worth than having dtml as I might do more mistakes.
>
> And I quite like the syntax as I get simpler to read code (better for
> maintenance, etc) and no silly typing.
>
> My 0.02 cents,

I agree with Fernando that this avoidance of "tal:x " is simple enough.
Going further would break the "only one language" that Chris pushes for.

We should reuse not invent again sthing new.

But we should go on with this thread : what have been told about CSS,
JavaScript and others... is too much worth to stop now.