[Grok-dev] Cannot easyinstall grokproject

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sun Sep 6 13:51:17 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I repost Milinds mail here, as it seems not to have make it to the list.

Milind Khadilkar wrote:

> Sorry. I was away from this machine for some time. To refresh: I have
> been unable to install grokproject because through the virtual
> environment created, easy_install gives an error while importing
> _socket

Yeah, obviously. The question is, whether there is a socket library in
your Python or not.

> The import _socket works outside the virtual environment.

But it does not inside? Apart from grokproject and the like? Or in other
words: can you activate your sandbox, then start the Python interpreter
and import _socket?

   (vgrok) C:\vgrok> bin/Python.exe
   >>> import _socket

> I have now made a clean install from python 2.5.4

Where did you get the Python from and how did you do the install? Was it
a binary install or a self-compiled?

> The problem still persists.
>
> Any solutions or workarounds? More importantly, what could be causing
> this problem to me which others are not facing?

There are a couple of mentions of this problem on Windows. It is merely
a Windows and Python problem. At least I got several hits when googling
'python _socket'.

> Again apologies for this break in communication.

No worries, please.

> Thanks and regards
> Milind Khadilkar

It looks to me, this problem is not grok nor grokproject specific. It
would be nice, however, to find a solution. On my own Windows installs I
never had this problem.

Maybe someone with more Windows experience can tell more?

Best regards,

--
Uli