[ZODB-Dev] new-style class status

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Oct 20 11:41:30 EDT 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Tim Peters]
>
>>>I see Jim Fulton checked in some new stuff on that branch today
>>>(Sunday), so it's got his current attention.
>

> [John Belmonte]
>
>>I'm not seeing this on the cvs web interface.  Perhaps there is a
>>delay.
>

> No delay, but it's a bit convoluted because ZODB3's zodb33-devel-branch got
> rid of ZODB3's traditional ExtensionClass directory.  Jim is effectively
> putting it back in, but so far it only shows up on the zodb33-devel-branch
> tag of the Zope (not ZODB3) module.  Go to
>
>     http://cvs.zope.org/query
>
> Enter
>
>     zodb33-devel-branch
>
> in the "CVS Branch box", and select the "In the last day" radio button.
> That will find Sunday's relevant checkins.  The log message:
>
>     New-style ExtensionClass, in C.
>
>     This is an initial cut.

This was very p[reliminary. I've made a number of changes since then. :)

 >     The next step is to start converting some of
>     the old EC extensions, like Acquisition and Persistent.
>
> Jeremy/Jim, what kind of magic is needed to make this new code appear in a
> checkout of the ZODB3 module (using the zodb33-devel-branch revision)?

Why would anybody want this?  The new code is to support people who want to
use ZODB 3 and ExtensionClass together.  I though that set was the same as
people who want to use Zope.  When it's ready, this code will appear on the
Zope head and, later, in Zope 2.8.

I should note, however, that we'll be renaming the ZODB "Persistence"
package to "persistence". The "persistence" package will have the new-style
non-ExtensionClass persistent base classes. A new "Persistence" package
will be created that provides persistent ExtensionClass base classes.

Jim