[ZODB-Dev] savepoint bug

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 15 16:15:04 EDT 2004

Edward Moy wrote:
> With the recent message about possibly depreciating versions in favor of
> savepoints,

Actually, I said "subtransactions (savepoints)".  We could deprecate
versions in favor if subtransactions *or* savepoints.

 > I hope that will raise the priority of savepoints.

Not really.  That said, savepoints are a "high" priority. In general,
I want to try to clean up ZODB a lot and savepoints are part of that
plan.

Unfortunately, Tim and I have a lot on our plates.  I definately
expect savepoints to be in 3.4, but we have to get 3.3 out first, along
with all of our other priorities.

If someone wants to work on this, I'd be willing to give some guidence,
but they's really need to be a Zope-repository contributor.

 > As for
> my use of ZODB, if it works out, it will go into an open-source project
> that would ship on the next release of Mac OS X (or thereafter),  and
> hopefully be adopted by other platforms as well.  ZODB would have
> millions of new users needing savepoint support.

Was cool! Sounds great!

> Another wish-list feature would be the ability to have multiple "views"
> of the same database.  It would be incredibly useful to me if each view
> could be modified separately, and each rolled back with savepoints, even
> if no view could be committed.  Like solving a traveling salesman
> problem, I'd like to keep separate "solutions" (different changes to the
> database) and be able to try each one as I step through, looking for the
> best solution.  Since I am keeping a record of each of the steps for
> each solution, and may present several solutions to the user to select
> from, I can always toss out the views and do a normal change/commit
> process.

If you had savepoints :), you could do this with multiple database connections
and associated non-thread-based transaction managers.

Jim