[ZODB-Dev] ZODB: invalidations out of order

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 21 10:30:46 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> 3.8.6 is available now with this bug fix and a few others.
>
> Note that the BTrees 32bit bug fix (OverflowError to TypeError) also
> needs some adjustments in Zope2 (IIRC in the DateIndex code) and some
> add-ons (like CMFEditions). So it's not straightforward to use this in
> older Plone versions.

AFAIK, this fix doesn't convert overflow errors to type errors. It
simply raises
type errors in situations where data were simply stored incorrectly before.
I'm surprised that this would cause problems.

> Personally I used 3.8.4 in all Plone 3 versions
> with blobs. We've run this combination on large data sets without any
> problems and I know of quite a number of other Plone companies having
> done the same.

For the most part, the work I did in ZODB 3.9 was motivated by a desire to get
blobs to the point that I'd be willing to use them in production. <shrug>

>> I'm uncomfortable with with people using 3.8 with blobs in production.
>> I'm going to spend some time today seeing if I can add back enough
>> version api (as opposed to support :) in 3.9 to make it work with
>> Zope 2.10.
>
> That's a very noble goal :)

BTW, if there a standard way to get Zope 2.10 to use a version of
ZODB other than the one that ships with it?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton