[Zope-PTK] Re: [PTK(94)[1] request] Changing document views hard

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:33:34 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan L. Pierson - Issue Requester, by Tracker - admin:"
<mike@digicool.com>
To: <Candidate Supporters, via Tracker
http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker>
Cc: <Requester Courtesy CC, via Tracker
http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker>
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 7:13 AM
Subject: [PTK(94)[1] request] Changing document views hard

> Tracker Item PTK(94)[1] - to followup, visit
>     http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker/94/1
> -=- -=- -=-
> Changing how a document type is displayed in a portal required editing
dtml files in PTKBase/dtml.  This is unreasonable for two reasons:

> 1. This is likely to be a common desire of PTK users.  They should not
have to edit the base source of the product to do it.

> 2. It is not possible to host two portals on a site that display, e.g.,
News Items differently, even in purely cosmetic ways.

> One solution might be to copy the default dtml files into the new portal
at installation time where they could then be edited in the same way as
other pieces of default content.

I've been anxiously awaiting ZPatterns 0.4.0, because I think that will make
an excellent basis for PortalContent. PortalContent would use the DataSkins
feature to allow for the kind of customization you're talking about. The
Customizer objects would figure out what to do with new content and provide
display routines. (I think the existing "Portal" object could basically just
become a Customizer which would be more flexible).

What does everyone else think?

Kevin