[Zope-PTK] Good Practice?

Joachim Werner joachim.werner@iuveno.de
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:52:28 +0100

Hello!

> > It's a thorny issue, though, and one which affects any
> > code/template/html that is 'supposed' to be customized. Exactly the same
> > problem exists with Squishdot. The solution I've been employing is to
> > try to have a fixed set of interfaces that change as infrequently as
> > possible, and post 'pathces' on a 'How to Upgrade Squishdot' page which
> > show how to update the old demo code. Peopel can then feed this into
> > their own judgement about what needs to eb placed into their customized
> > version.

> Okay, think in terms of transparent folders.  (See
> http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/TransparentFolders ) Note that the
> Transparent Folders product is hackish because it works inside any
> Folder, but it doesn't have to be hackish at all when the concept is
> applied to objects over which we have full control, such as
> PortalFolder.

Transparent folders are exactly what I came up with as a quick hack to solve
the "skin" or "chrome" issues with one of our latest projects. The problem was
that I wanted to have different skins possible on each and every level in the
object tree, with an automatic fall-back using acquisition. It seems to work
perfectly (just used transparent folder as a base class for my "chrome"
ZClass). Whenever something (e.g. a logo or a property) is missing, Zope just
takes the one from the nearest other "transparent" chrome folder in the
hierarchy ...

Joachim.