[Zope-CMF] Member preferences

yuppie y.2010 at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Jul 1 05:37:59 EDT 2010

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Am 30.06.2010, 15:09 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver<tseaver-npLdOuuzvjyaMJb+Lgu22Q at public.gmane.org>:
>>
>>> As a general rule, I would actually prefer that we strip out the
>>> keywords currently in the code -- they are CVS-era fossils which no
>>> longer add any value in the SVN + eggs world.

Why are they "CVS-era fossils"? What special value did they add in the
CVS world?

I always thought we use the Id keyword because CVS or SVN metadata is
not always available. In tarball or egg releases that kind of metadata
is missing.

> Not only redundant to the data available in 'svn log' / 'svn info',

'svn log' and 'svn info' are not available inside released eggs.

> but
> actively harmful:  keyword expansion makes merging branches / applying
> patches harder.

I guess the reason this causes problems for you is related to your
attempts to use Bazaar instead of Subversion.

I'm fine with removing the Id keywords if it makes the transition to
Bazaar easier, but I don't think this is related to the the transition
from CVS to Subversion.

> I would say that we should be removing the keywords
> themselves from source code opportunistically;  I don't really care
> about the property itself.

I would prefer if you would propose that on the zope-dev list. It
doesn't make sense to remove them in CMF and to keep them in ZTK or Zope
headers. And it doesn't make sense if just a few people remove them in a
few places and other people follow the old policy.

Cheers,

	Yuppie