[Zope-DB] How does DCO2 use bind variables?

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:08:18 -0500

Heh,

You got me,

ZOracleDA (and all of Zope's SQL) uses query strings ONLY to manipulate=20=

data, which
is really inefficient.

DCOracle2 does binds quite well, but not if the outer application=20
doesn't use it... :(

FIXING the Zope SQL stuff to use binds is on my to-do list after 2.5=20
goes out.

It will probably still reprep statements all the time (since it will be=20=

grabbing different cursors each transaction) but Oracle has a statement=20=

cache for prepare in the SGA, so it should be able to accelerate the=20
prepare with that statement cache.

On Thursday, November 8, 2001, at 03:12 AM, Dario Lopez-K=E4sten wrote:

> Hello!
>
> After inspecting the internals of our Oracle DB, we have reason to=20
> suspect
> that the Zope Oracle DA/DCO2 does not automatically use bind variables=20=

> for
> its SQL queries, but instead forces Oracle to recompile every single =
sql
> statement, resulting in _really_ bad performance from our DB.
>
> Can anybody (like, uh, Matt :-)) provide som light and/or guidance on=20=

> this
> issue?
>
> If there in fact is bind var support, how can I make use of them from=20=

> Zope?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /dario

> Dario Lopez-K=E4sten     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of =
Technology