[Zope-DB] DCOracle2: oci.h with 8i Client install?

Dave Carabetta cbetta@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:46:20 -0500

Hi. I am trying to install the DCOracle2 adapter. I am using Zope 2.5.0 with
Python 2.2 on a RedHat 7.2 platform. I have installed the Oracle 8i Client
and properly tested it successfully. When I go to run "make" to build the
binary, I get an error towards the end of the script which says the
following:

make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/local/Zope-2.5.0/lib/python/Products/ZOracleDA/src'
gcc -fPIC -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-I/usr/local/include/python2.2 -I/usr/local/include/python2.2
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I/software/oracle/product/ora817/rdbms/demo
-I/software/oracle/product/ora817/network/public
-I/software/oracle/product/ora817/plsql/public
-I/software/oracle/product/ora817/rdbms/public -DORACLE8i -c ././dco2.c -o
./dco2.o
././dco2.c:107:17: oci.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [dco2.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/Zope-2.5.0/lib/python/Products/ZOracleDA/src'
                ---------------------------------------
There were errors building the dco2 module.  This could be because of a
coding error in the dco2 module, or because your Oracle environment is
not set up properly.  Please double check that your Oracle environment is
properly established, and that the proper header files exist (e.g.
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/*.h).

After speaking with my Oracle DBA about the missing oci.h file, he informed
me that the file is only installed if you do a server installation of Oracle
(v8.1.7). According to all the resources I've read, Oracle 8i Client is all
that's needed to connect Zope with my Oracle database (which is on another
server).

Have I misunderstood the requirements? If not, any thoughts as to how to
resolve this issue? When I restart the Zope server and go through the
management console, ZOracleDA is listed as an Available Object, but an error
is thrown if I click on the link. So at least Zope is picking up the
directory fine.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.