[Zope-DB] Help request from a non-developer

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Apr 14 12:03:52 EDT 2006

--On 14. April 2006 17:55:15 +0200 Christophe Appell <butchfag at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > It was my understanding though that you can use an external DB in
>> > conjunction with the ZoDB, wouldn't it be possible to put my
>> > client-entered data (form responses mostly) on this external DB ?
>> Yes.
>
> Can you give me an idea of the level of effort to accomplish this
> partial data abstraction ? I imagine it's not so straight forward
> since he has pushed back pretty hard to my initial requests but I
> figured it's worth asking about as he may simply not know how to go
> about it.

This depends really on your individual use case. Sometimes you have an
exisiting RDBMS and want to store additional content in the ZODB and
sometimes it is vice versa. The "tricky" part is to keep track which
objects in the ZODB belong to which row(s) in your RDBMS. For such a hybrid
solution I stored the path of the objects in the ZODB as new column in the
primary table of the RDBMS (this is ok as long as you don't move objects
around)...or you might store the primary key as attribute of your objects..
don't try to move data from a RDBMS into Zope if your data depends very
much on the relational mode...the ZODB and RDBMSs have their pros and
cons..just
use them  for the purpose they were designed to.

-aj

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376