[Zope-DB] Unified DA for Zope 2 using SQLAlchemy?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Mar 25 11:49:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

Sunday afternoon, time for some weird thoughts :-)

In the Zope 2 worlds we have dedicated database adapters
for different databases. Fortunately the Python world made us a
wonderful present called SQLAlchemy that abstracts the different
databases. In the Zope world we have some wrappers like
z3c.zalchemy and z3c.sqlalchemy... basically they deal with connection
handling, mapper handling and integration with the Zope transaction
system. Would it make sense to replace all different Zope DAs with
a generic DA on top of one of the z3c.* wrappers? I think it would not
be too hard to write such a DA...or am I missing something? Thoughts?

Andreas