[Zope-DB] Unified DA for Zope 2 using SQLAlchemy?

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Sun Mar 25 17:54:14 EDT 2007

> In the Zope 2 worlds we have dedicated database adapters
> for different databases. Fortunately the Python world made us a
> wonderful present called SQLAlchemy that abstracts the different
> databases. In the Zope world we have some wrappers like
> z3c.zalchemy and z3c.sqlalchemy... basically they deal with connection
> handling, mapper handling and integration with the Zope transaction
> system. Would it make sense to replace all different Zope DAs with
> a generic DA on top of one of the z3c.* wrappers? I think it would not
> be too hard to write such a DA...or am I missing something? Thoughts?

Now (in Zope2) we have things like ZOracleDA (DCOracle2), ZPsycopgDA
etc. that are adapters to these specific databases. They're based on
Shared/DC/ZRDB/.
In Zope3 there are also such adapters eg. one using cx_Oracle. They're
based on Zope3 rdb module.

What do you mean by 'replacing' them? You want wrapper build for
z3c.* to be used instead of ZRDB (rdb)?

You're talking about Zope2 or Zope3 too?

I don't fully understand what you want to do...

--
Maciej Wisniowski