core i18n support (was [Zope-dev] Open Letter to zope-dev)

Joachim Schmitz js@aixtraware.de
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 22:19:29 +0100

Hi,

as far as I understand the issue, both I18n solutions coud agree on a=20
common set of features they need in the Zope-core. I think booth should=20
formulate, what their requests are.

--On Sonntag, Dezember 02, 2001 13:13:30 -0500 Paul Everitt <paul@zope.com> =

wrote:

> As both Robert and Joachim (in another message) have noted, core i18n
> support is blocked by a single issue: there are two different approaches
> and insufficient consensus about resolving them.
>
> The first criteria that I have is whether someone is willing to become a
> CVS contributor and shepherd i18n in a responsible fashion, as Martijn
> Faassen has done with XML.  In this sense we suffer from an embarassment
> of riches: both Localizer and ZBabel have people willing to step up and
> provide leadership.
>
> Unfortunately there isn't someone with sufficient authority on the
> subject to annoint one as more right than the other.  And an arbitrary
> decision by ZC is sure to leave hard feelings.  Unfortunately this needs
> to get cleared up soon, so that an i18n team can start influencing the
> component architecture.
>
> I suggest that Stefane and Juan David (Localizer/Nuxeo) and Stephan,
> Andrew, and Joachim (ZBabel/iuveno) have a little chat and make a
> recommendation for a small next step.
>
> --Paul
>
> Robert Rottermann wrote:
>
>> Andreas,
>> sorry if I have not reacted to a questions for assistance in the realm =
of
>> i18n. I must have missed them.
>> I rarely go to EuroZope since this site seems badly maintained.
>>
>> However I really would like to help with the internationalization of =
Zope