[Zope-dev] ZCatalog hackery

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:32:17 -0700

"Morten W. Petersen" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've got a problem with ZCatalog.  I've got plenty of large
> objects, ranging from 100KB to 100MB in size.  Needless to
> say, these take up a lot of processor time when indexed by
> the ZCatalog.
>
> Now, these object have to be moved from time to time, only
> moved, so that one or two of the related columns and indexes
> are affected (the path and the parent container id); is
> there a way to go around this so that those two, the
> one column and the index are updated, and not, let's say
> the indexed body (which is 100KB - 100MB in size) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morten

There is no built-in way. however I see no reason that the Catalog could
not be extended to do this with a bit of python coding.

A catalog contains a collection called indexes that contains the indexes
themselves (what else?). An External method could be written like so
(not tested):

def partialReindexObject(catalog, indexes, uid, object):
	rid = catalog.uids.get[uid]

	for idx_key in indexes:
		idx = catalog.indexes[idx_key].__of__(catalog)
		idx.unindex_object(rid)
		idx.index_object(rid, object, None)

I think that will do it. Pass the names of the indexes as a sequence in
indexes, and data_record_id_ as the uid.

The above does not update any meta-data in the catalog.

--