[Zope-dev] Re: Opinions wanted: clean distribution

Chris Keyes chrisk@nipltd.com
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:23:31 +0000

I know your never going to get everyone to agree, as all sys admins like
to do things in a slightly different way. I'm probably way out of my
depth, but, working on systems with many Zope instances which are
'owned' by various people, I have a directory which holds all my bases
and a directory for all of the instances. This means that all a users
specific files are in one place and makes administration easier,
especially for things such as FTP access to an individual instance and
so on.

 From my memory (I think I asked ChrisW) the Products from the instance,
override the products in the base. Ideally I guess no products should be
in the base, unless they are going to become part of the core, and so
will always be there in the future.

I've also heard romours of some kind of product / package system
although I don't think that its been developed yet. Not sure if that
fits into your plans or not.

Just my rough thoughs. Good luck with the project, its a great idea. Is
it worth pushing it to the main list?

ChrisK