[Zope-dev] summary of suggestions

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 3 08:03:23 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Because my suggestions (besides the fork issue) as a ZTK
user/contributor were scattered through the thread, here's a handy summary:

* please construct guidelines for updating the ZTK when making a release
   of a package that's managed by the ZTK project. It's useful people
   test their changes within the ZTK.

* please let these guidelines not block most updates by most people
   most of the time; it should be easy to update the ZTK. Gatekeepers
   tend to slow things down a lot, and we don't have them for most Python
   code.

* there's a 'checknew.py' script to see whether there are releases newer
   than the ZTK. I'd be useful if this were integrated
   in the standard ZTK buildout.cfg so you just get a 'bin/checknew'.
   It'd also be nice if that were reusable by other toolkit projects.

* (new idea) similarly it'd be nice if there were a script integrated
   that could check which binary egg releases exist for Windows (32 bit,
   64 bit,
   Python version). Right now BlueBream is maintaining a list here:

   http://wiki.zope.org/bluebream/StatusOfWindowsBinaryPackages

* Please update the ZTK documentation about the status of the ZTK
   steering group and the ZTK release team. It's unclear to newcomers
   such as myself.

* In general it'd be useful if the release team recorded decisions
   in the ZTK documentation. It's confusing to have to go look for them
   in mailing list archives and people tend to forget or reinterpret
   decisions as time goes by.

Regards,

Martijn