[Zope-PAS] General question about PAS usage

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Mon Feb 28 21:34:39 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 3:37 AM, Janko Hauser wrote:

> Hello, I looked at and used some of the code of PlonePAS. This got me
> thinking about how PAS will or should be used by different
> projects. I want to raise general issues in this mail, and ask
> specific questions in another mail.
>
> (In the following I will use PlonePAS (PPAS) as an example
> but do not want to dismiss this effort.)
>
> It seems there is a general trend for the established Zope-CMS's to
> migrate to PAS. At the current state of PAS this will be done by
> subclassing or by monkeypatching. PPAS has added API's for the
> usermanagement and also added further plugins. If I understand it
> right it also has changed the id-mangling.
>
> I also do not see a way to distribute plugins standalone, as there is
> no API to add plugins after the instantiation of a pluginregistry.
>
> My concern is, that this will lead to incompatible changes in the
> different projects. From reading the archives the id-mangling is a
> fundamental feature, which will reflect back to the code of the
> plugins.
>

> So my question is, how other users of PAS do want to deal with this
> situation and what will be the general direction PAS-development will
> take. Should it actually become the main userfolder implementation? If
> yes, would it be worthwhile to integrate it into the Zope-core code?
> At the moment PAS is more of an insider product, and will remain so,
> as there is no real enduser documentation.
>
> I understand, that this is also a problem of resources. But before we
> can hit this problem, there should be a rather coherent view, how
> further development of PAS should be done and what should be the goal
> of it.
>
> Interested in other views, also if it's like 'move along and cope with
> it' :-).

just to be clear my intention is that all the new functionality
exhibited by the plone pas product thats agreed upon by this list will
go into the base pas product. as you note it adds several new
additional plugin types which i think are generically useful in the pas
product directly (mutable property sheets, local role plugins, user
introspection, etc.). unfortunately i've been traveling and sprinting
in remote locations for the last few weeks, and haven't had the
bandwidth to address this further (typing this at an airport atm
between flights for example ;-)

as regards the id mangling/demangling. there were several long
discussions at the sprint, that the proper semantic for user mechanisms
inside of plone was to have a semantic/logical merge of users, to ease
migration between sources (ie. no trolling trees to adjust local roles)
and to add a qualified id api for plugins that really do want to
distinguish (to date none of the opensource ones do).

cheers,

-kapil