[Zope] - ODBC and zope on NT

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:43:42 -0500

Vincent wrote:
> On Zope(NT service)/IIS/NT I cannot find a place to add a Zope SQL
> Database
> Connection (when I try to add a Zope SQL Method it asks me for a
> SQL connection). I read the Aqueduct users guide, and it stated that
> I should find a "Add Aqueduct xxxx(=ODBC) Connection" under Add. This
> is not there. Will this only appear if I install the ZODBCDA?

Yes.

Here's the idea: SQL Methods are database independent.  You point them
at an object that is connected to a database -- a Database Connetion.

For ODBC, double click on the ZODBCDA tar.gz file and tell WinZip to
extract it into your Zope directory.  It will create some directories
under lib/python/Products.

When you shut down and restart your Zope site (via the Control Panel),
voila, you can add a Database Connection object to a Folder.  All you
have to do then is select something you have defined in the Windows
Control Panel's ODBC setup as an ODBC source.

When you add an ODBC DA

> The ZODBCDA file is a tar.gz file - is this for Unix only? I usually
> work in Unix and this is not usually a problem - however I am on
> NT for a short time, and am not sure/familiar with tar or gz for
> NT. And I am trying out zope on NT/IIS. If the ZODBCA file is for
> NT as well, could you please point me to some utilities, or provide
> a .zip or .exe.

WinZip can nicely handle tar.gz files (some versions require a little
help with telling it the tar file is .tar instead of _tar).

--Paul