[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 02:15:22 +0200

[snip]
> > The name is easier to distinguish for Americans, I think,
> who pronounce
> > the letter "Z" differently from the character "S". I'm
> pretty sure Brits
> > don't do this, but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, the verbal
> > resemblance between "Zope" and "soap" is still pretty high.
>
> This is such a lame argument. No matter how you pronounce
> Zope the fact
> remains it is still _spelled_ Z-O-P-E.

As the guy who wrote this "lame argument", let me point out that if
you'd read the whole piece, you'd have seen that I wasn't trying to make
an argument at all, for or agains tanything. It's just a statement of
fact.

However, think about this. If you did not know of the name beforehand,
and somebody told you (verbally) about Zope, what would you do? Would
you go on the net and look for a www.zope.com? Would you try to find
www.soap.com? www.zoap.com? Or would you respond, "Hmm. How do you spell
that?"

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over