[Zope] Failed upgrade to 2.2.4 - solutions?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:16:35 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Luke Tymowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just tried and failed to upgrade to 2.2.4 from 2.2.2.  A python
> instance  starts up and slowly swallows the CPU,  ending with 99% of the
> CPU. A second python instance starts and doesn't do anything naughty.
>
> If I issue a ./stop, the second python instance ends properly, but the
> first continues to consume all CPU resources.
>
> I've tried recompiling it several times, reinstalling Python, but no go.
> It did once start up properly, but as soon as I tried logging into Zope,
> python took over the CPU.
>
> I'm using OpenBSD 2.8, python 1.5.2, x86, 196MB of RAM, GBs of free disk
> space.
>
> I've been using Zope since 2.0 and have never had this much trouble
> upgrading.  the only Zope product I'm using is SiteAccess (the same
> setup as the old Zope.org before the cluster upgrade).
>
> Any ideas?

Try turning on the profiler.  Quothe the control panel:

  To enable profiling, restart the Zope process with the environment
  variable PROFILE_PUBLISHER defined. The value of this variable should be
  the full system path to a file that will be used to dump a profile report
  when the process restarts or exits.

And kill the process.  Maybe this will create a profile report that tells
you where it's spinning.

Are you sure your waiting long enough?  If you have a large Data.fs and you
just move it over to a new install, Zope needs to take some time to build
the initial database index file.

-Michel