[Zope] building/exporting site and server question

David Eleuterius david@bowmansystems.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:28:06 -0600

I am relatively new to Zope, and I am working on a personal project at home
on my Win98 box. I am just now getting the "zen" of Zope as everyone refers
to it, and am building a true functional application.

So now that I am getting comfortable with Zope, here is my question. I am
wondering if I can build my site/application on my Win98 box at home,
export it out and then import it into another Zope installation running on
another operating system (either BSDI or Linux). I am thinking I will have
to buy my own server so that I can let Zope run as the server itself -- our
servers up here all run Apache and I doubt our systems administrator up
here would want to take the time and effort required to get that running
properly (plus those are production servers, not really for employee
projects!).

Is it possible and/or recommended to build a site/application on one
installation and import it into another? Or should I just go ahead and by a
box, put Linux on it, and proceed to build it on that platform? My concern
is spending a lot of time building out the site on my home box and then
finding a show-stopping hitch in the migration to another
platform/installation.

Anyone who has had any experience with migrating Zope applications to other
platforms/installation please reply so that I can make an informed decision
as to how to proceed.

And also is there any reason to use Apache instead of letting Zope run as
the server itself -- this will be on my own server so I doubt there will be
much else on the box then my personal project and my home site (two virtual
domains).

Thanks in advance.

DE
David Eleuterius | Design & Development