[Zope] object modification email

AJ Coon aj@hostway.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:46:17 -0600

Chris Muldrow wrote:

>On 12/20/02 11:01 AM, "AJ Coon" <aj@hostway.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there a lightweight Zope product that anyone knows of which:
>>
>>-  Tracks changes of objects in Zope
>>- Can send email to notify individuals when changes occur to objects
>>that are being tracked
>>
>>I think using versioning or CMF workflow  for what we need would be like
>>using chainsaw to slice butter.   ;-)
>>
>>Ideas, anyone?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>aj

>Unhelpful initial answer: I don't know of a product that does that.
>Possibly helpful follow-up answer: Are you tracking a specific type of
>object? 'Cause you could (just talking off the top of my head) go into the
>manage_edit source and hook a sendmail method to it that checked against a
>boolean property of the object. So:
>if notify=='true':
>    sendmail_method_somewhere_in_your_site()
>- Chris

Yeah, we're doing this in CMF, so we probably should just modify the
Content types we are using for these objects to include the email
functionality.

Also, I've thought about doing this at the folder level.  So say if an
object was added or removed to/from a Folder object, an email would be
generated letting people know something was modified 'in' the folder.

The latter is probably what we would start with as a simple
customization to Folder objects, and the former would be adopted over
time.

aj