[Zope] Re: Re: Please help newbie access her control manager/panel

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:49:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, J. Stuff wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> After reading the many informative and helpful messages regarding my
> situation, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and decided to get some p2p help.
> Today at work I asked my boss for help and he was glad to help me. Since
> Zope is installed on windows NT there, he went through many settings and
> areas with me, showing me things to try when I got home. Now that I'm home,
> here's what has been happening:
>
> By means of the Services panel, I found that Zope wasn't started on my home
> machine. After I clicked 'Start' a progress bar filled then disappeared.
> Then a pop-up window told me:
>   "The Zope service WebSite on Local Computer started and then stopped.
>   Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for
>   example, the Performance Logs and Alerts Service."
> The only option the window gave was to click 'OK.' I clicked 'OK' and
> changed the startup type to Manual. After clicking 'Start' the same thing
> happened. I changed the startup type back to Automatic.
>
> I then opened a command line and typed in the following:
>    netstat -an
> and found nothing on port 8080, 8021, or 8090. I think that's because Zope
> wasn't started, but I'm no wiz at this.
>
> Then I ran start.bat and let it sit for twenty minutes hoping some of the
> advice about windows taking a long time to start Zope would prove pertinent
> to my situation. It didn't change from my previous screenshot
> (http://lunamanium.com/startbat.gif).
>
> The questions I have now are:
>
> a. Can I force Zope into doing some work so windowsXP doesn't stop it
> automatically? If so, how?
>
> b. Would changing the port Zope is supposed to run on help at all?
>
> c. Would upgrading help? My boss told me about the page template feature and
> it sounds very intriguing so I may upgrade anyway.
>
> d. Is there hope for me and Zope?
>
> Thank you all very much for your kindness and your assistance.

Jessica--

Drop to a command shell (can one still do that in XP?) and execute
start.bat with the "-D" switch to see debugging info. (Or edit start.bat
so that the call to z2.py includes "-D"). Then run start.bat and see what
debugging info it offers.

Probably is probably not your port, but if so, we'll see that in the
debugging ouptut. Your problem is probably not related to your Zope
version, so upgrading probably won't help, but PageTemplates are great and
worth examining.

Hope for you & Zope? Only time can tell. If you can't figure it out from
the debugging input of start.bat, post its output to the list.

Good luck.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant