[Zope] ProxyPass weirdness with Plone

Des Dougan ddougan@telus.net
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:46:36 -0700

Dylan,

Many thanks for your reply.

Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> Four comments:
> 1. ProxyPass typically requires a ProxyPassReverse.

Yes - I have one. I did not refer to it on the assumption that it is the
most common usage. Apologies for the confusion.

> 2. RewriteRule is a bit more flexible than ProxyPass.

Yes, so I understand. I haven't yet tried it due to a specific of my
distro. The Mitel SME Server dynamically builds the various virtual host
statements in the httpd.conf via its configuration database. I haven't
quite worked out the best way to add a RewriteRule.

> 3. You'll want a VirtualHostRoot somewhere in that URL.

I've tried both with and without. The last information I checked (in the
Zope Book) seemed to indicate I wouldn't need it as I have only one
domain. That said, I have tried it a number of different ways, and still
get the same problem.

> 4. You probably want to serve something other than Zope's root.

I did wonder about this, although none of the docs I have read so far
mention it specifically as a bad practice. At this point, I am using
only the admin user, which as far as I could see is served from the
root. Apart from the flexibility of managing multiple domains, should I
wish to do that in the future, is there any other reason for not using
the root?

> Assuming you have mod_rewrite (you probably do) I'd comment out the
> ProxyPass directive and try:
>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/
> hudson.DouganConsulting.com/path/to/plone_root/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
>
> Where everything between RewriteRule and [L,P] should be on one line, no
> space between http/ and hudson.

I'll give that a try.

Many thanks,

Des