[Zope] Session data in URL *or* in cookie

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:08:09 +0100

Lubos Culen wrote at 2003-2-26 11:34 +0100:
 > thank you very much for answer - I see I will have to encode the URLs
 > "manually" when user has not cookies enabled. But yet one more question:
 > Now I'm using the function encodeUrl, which transfers URL to something like
 > http://foo.com/amethod?_ZopeId=as9dfu0adfu0ad . But - is in Zope any
 > similar function, which will encode the URLs in a way
 > http://foo.com/_ZopeId/as9dfu0adfu0ad/amethod (exactly as automated URL-
 > encoding engine does it) ? This encoding has big advantage that the session
 > will remain when relative links are used, so I would find very handy if I
 > could encode the session data this way.

I do not know a function that does precisely this.

The problem is that for *relative* URLs it may not be easy to
know the URL path segments before the given part.
As you want to add a starting path, you must effectively
make the relative URL an absolute one.

For absolute URLs, the problem is quite straight forward:

  You recognize the protocol and host part, if any, and remove
  it.

  You prepend the new segments.

  You prepend the protocol and host part again (if any).

Dieter