[Zope] NuxDocument 1.1 Alpha bugs (formerly [Nuxeo-localizer]/[Zope] NuxDocument nonfunctional)

Damon Butler damon@hddesign.com
30 Jan 2003 11:09:47 -0600

> The MO file is used at run time, you have to:
>  1. fix the charset in the PO file as you already did;
>  2. re-generate the MO file from the PO file (from the
>     NuxDocument product directory run zgettext:
>     "../Localizer/zgettext -m");
>  3. re-start Zope

Thanks!! Your fix worked beautifully. I can now add NuxDocuments to
Zope, CMF, and Plone sites. What a nifty product. Sincerest compliments
to the chefs.

> Note that if the "locale/en.po" file of the NuxDocument
> product does not have the right charset, then it is a bug.

It is definitely a bug, then. A rather serious one. Furthermore, there
are a LARGE number of other problems, including not a few biggies:

* The ONLY way to change a NuxDocument's id, Title, or Description
properties is via the ZMI. I have so far been unable to hack in a Python
fix such that I can do this from within Plone. (I changed the ZPT such
that it should be easily possible.) Major inconvenience: Help!

* CMF does not permit the uploading of NuxDocuments (i.e., actual Word,
Excel, PPT, and PDF files). Similarly, one cannot upload a CMF
NuxDocument from within the ZMI. This can be a show-stopper.

* Zope, CMF, and Plone cannot find the various document icon graphics
(icon_doc.gif, icon_pdf.gif, icon_ppt.gif, icon_xls.gif). This can cause
Tracebacks when performing Finds or Searches (depending on which
interface you are using). I was only able to solve this problem in
CMF/Plone by manually Adding the four icons as Images to the custom
folder in the various skins search paths; no fix for Zope yet. Most
unstatisfactory.

* The aforementioned bug with the provided en.po and en.mo files should
be addressed. I find it interesting the the es.po file specifies the
iso-8859-1 encoding while the fr.po file is in error the same way the
en.po file is.

* NuxDocument's dependency on Localizer should be noted in the
documentation. (I am using v1.0.0 of Localizer.)

* The portion of the installation instructions referring to some other
Products directory that isn't the lib/python/Products directory needs to
be dumped. It is confusing and simply untrue. NuxDocument works fine
(for me) in lib/python/Products.

* Similarly, remove references to 'ZNuxDocument' from the install
intructions. I see the script relating to this object, but that name
never shows up in the ZMI, CMF, or Plone interfaces.

* Newbies (of which I am very nearly one) should be warned that the
Filesystem Directory View to add in the portal_skins tool is different
depending on whether you are in a CMF or Plone site. CMF sites use
NuxDocument, Plone sites use zpt_NuxDocument.

I don't wanna sound too hard on NuxDocument. It's elegant to use and
solves a number of serious problems for us ... and promises a wonderful
future. But there are still enough major bugs/limitations that prevent
us from rolling it out and actually using it.

--Damon