[Zope] Zope 2.8 or 3.1?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Oct 27 08:43:03 EDT 2005

On 27 Oct 2005, at 13:30, Sascha Ottolski wrote:
>> Look, it's all about how much risk you are willing to carry. I don't
>> like playing Russian Roulette with services that are supposed to be
>> highly available. And I don't want to have to waste a single thought
>> on problems that *might* develop if RedHat or their packagers decide
>> to do something to their Python or to Python add-ons I use. I also
>> prefer to do upgrades to these components on my own schedule, not
>> when someone else who has no idea about my various usage scenarios
>> thinks so.
>>

> hey, no offence, I absolutely see your point. it's just that I'm
> really
> curious about what practical problems people have seen, as we seem
> not to
> have any...and in my point of view, it's less to think about when I
> simply
> stick to the packages that come with the OS :-)

For me that's true with pretty much every single package - apart from
Zope and the Python that runs it. I would never advocate any strategy
that leans heavily on the "build myself" side. That's just insane
maintenance.

System packages should be used wherever possible (like Apache, etc).
In cases where you have a better (or purpose-built) replacement for a
system package then build a package that meshes with your system
packaging and replaces the original. I've been building my own Squid
and sometimes Postfix RPMs on many occasions.

jens