[Zope] Re: newbie -- creating a Product

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Nov 6 13:18:04 EST 2006

On 6 Nov 2006, at 17:59, Max M wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl skrev:
>
>>> If your are using Zope 2 and is a newbie, do yourself the favour
>>> of starting with Zope 3.
>>>
>>> If you want to work in zope 2 you should use Plone as a base, and
>>> create  products with Archgen XML (AGX)
>>>
>>> There are no advantages in using plain Zope 2 anymore.
>> I'm sorry, that's just complete BS.
>

> No it isn't!
>
> Mind what I said (or tried to say). If you are a *new developer*,
> with a *new project*, you are far better of starting with Zope 3
> than with Zope 2.

That's questionable. Answers like this only add to a certain FUD
factor out there about Zope2 being thrown out shortly.

> If you need features that are in Zope 2 but not in Zope 3, you are
> better of using a framework like Plone.

Hell no. Trying to throw a complete newbie not just into developing
with Zope, but developing with Plone on top of Zope is, IMHO, insane.
Not only do you need to learn Zope, you also need to learn the
various Plone programming paradigms. That's just bad advice, unless
someone truly wants those portal-like functionalities in Plone. Plone
is a screwdriver, and you're advising people to pound a nail into the
wall with a screwdriver.

> I have done Zope for +6 years, and I would not dream of starting up
> a project from scratch in Zope 2 anymore.
>
> I did not say that Zope 2 was useless. I still spend most of my
> time working on Plone based projects.

This is a case of professional "blinders". You've been working with a
specific combination for years so these things come easy to you. The
problem is you don't seem to see that there is healthy life outside
of Plone. Or outside of Zope 3, for that matter.

jens