[Zope] Zope2 - pro/contra

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Tue Mar 17 02:37:45 CET 2015

On 07/03/15 16:30, Simon Michael wrote:
> I've sent you a download link.
>
> I’m somewhat familiar with it, as I managed at least the zope2 wiki (and
> wrote Zwiki)

ZWIKI... God...

Is there any possibility of upgrading it to support current Zope2?. I
have currently two zope instances: a current zope and an aging Zope 2.10
just to host ZWIKI :(.

About current topic: I am not a web developer. I host my (heavy)
personal ZOPE webserver and a handful of WSGI handcoded services. But my
Zope webserver is working well and I am happy with it. Every now and
then I have to write new logic and I must decide to "invest" into Zope o
just bite the bullet and jump to Django, Piramid, whatever.

I am keeping Zope because I am using it since 1998 and I know it
inside-out. I can do whatever I want with it and the HUGE learning curve
is already amortized. I just consider other choices because I feel that
Zope 2 is a dead-end, not because I am unhappy with it. But Zope wins
every time so far :)

That said, documentation is really painful. It is very fragmented and it
is not easy to separate "outdated" from "current". Messy. Since current
codebase seems to change really slowly (mature!) I would love to see a
documentation effort. Not holding my breath :-(. Most of the time, when
implementing something new, I don't have any other choice than dive into
the Zope sourcecode. Doable but time-wasting.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/