[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 3 08:21:28 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> Tonico Strasser wrote:
>>> We could borrow terms from the W3C.
>>>
>>> e.g: Page ---> Document
>>>      Pagelet ---> DocumentFragment

> -1 from me
>
> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with what
> I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and 'Pagelet'
> somewhere?
>
> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole tree
> (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are other
> W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The whole
> pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and presentation
> concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think it would be
> confusing to use these DOM terms.

Im concerned about that we are going to reinwent things. A layout is a
XML document, isn't it?

We know that a XML document can be presented in many ways, not only as a
Web page.

If we define a portlet, how can I imagine it? A thing that gives me
presentation -structure, -logic, -sytle and content?

Is a portlet HTML only?

Sorry if this sound confusing, maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing.

Tonico