[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Dec 3 11:26:25 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]

>> -1 from me
>>
>> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with
>> what I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and
>> 'Pagelet' somewhere?
>>
>> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole
>> tree (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are
>> other W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The
>> whole pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and
>> presentation concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think it
>> would be confusing to use these DOM terms.
>

> Im concerned about that we are going to reinwent things. A layout is a
> XML document, isn't it?

In my experience a "layout" is typically some HTML template + CSS +
Javascript.

Pagelet is a term that seems to be used in some Java (JSP) and Cold
Fusion contexts, but I can't find much of a definition. Java does have a
JSR on *portlets*, which is a related concept though I think broader
than pagelets. If you don't want to reinvent things, they'd still be
useful to examine, though:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-2003/jw-0801-portlet.html

And the JSR itself:

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168

> We know that a XML document can be presented in many ways, not only as a
> Web page.
>
> If we define a portlet, how can I imagine it? A thing that gives me
> presentation -structure, -logic, -sytle and content?
>
> Is a portlet HTML only?

Oh, now you do say portlet, not pagelet. What's the difference?

I do not know what 'pagelet' or 'portlet' exactly means. I do know that
XML documents and fragments are not the right terminology. They're
low-level technical XML concepts that themselves do not have much to do
with user interfaces, though of course DOM can be used to construct user
interfaces.

> Sorry if this sound confusing, maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing.

I think it's good you're trying to get some clarity in terminology, and
I also think it's good not to want to reinvent the wheel. I just am
suggesting that the W3C DOM spec is not the right place to look.

Regards,

Martijn