[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.viewlet breaking buildout?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Apr 17 07:07:34 EDT 2007

http://download.zope.org/distribution/PILwoTk-1.1.5.1.tar.gz

> I'll look to pull it in with a dev egg in the short term in the
> buildout to satisfy the dependency until this is more widely
> available.

I have no idea how you would do that.

Note that this release is a hack/tweak of the standard PIL release
that I did by hand.  It would be best in the long run to encourage
the author of PIL to make a release that works with setuptools.

> With all the packages and dependencies to look after in a buildout,
> particularly for a larger zope app, something like a pre-flight
> (that could be executed as an option to a buildout) might be
> valuable. I think something that could analyze, assess, verify, and
> print dependency information without running a complete buildout
> might be the ticket if it is possible.
>
> The general idea comes to me from other systems I have used in the
> past (such as xml publishing toolchains) where you run a pre-flight
> to determine whether large documents will run through the toolchain
> successfully without actually constructing the document.

I don't see how that would work, given that requirements often arise
from new distributions installed while running the buildout.

Also, at least in the case of installing eggs, I don't really see any
harm in attempting the installation.  Nothing gets uninstalled as
part of egg installation.

I think what's needed, as I mentioned before, is output of those
distributions that required the distribution that couldn't be found.
I plan to provide this.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org