[Zope-DB] Re: [Zope-dev] Problems with Oracle DA, speed

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:30:27 -0400

Dario Lopez-K=E4sten wrote:

>>So what you REALLY want is the ZOracleDA to promote the weakling
>>dco2.DateTime objects to full Zope DateTime objects.
>>
>>Aha!
>>
>>I think that's doable in short order.
>>

>Excellent, dude! :-)
>
>On an related note, we are having horrendous speed-issues using dco2. Be=
fore
>I go off shooting myself and my team for using DCO2 in ways not intended=
,
>has anybody else had any speed related issues with dco2?
>
>We store *all* of our content (texts, labels, error messages, etc) in th=
>database (design issue; don't ask why ;) and have a lot of
>query-the-database-and-build-menues-interactively-based-on-user stuff go=
ing
>on.
>
>We have response times in the order of 3-5 seconds for a simple "Hello
>world".
>
>Any similar experiences, or is it entirely our own fault?
>
>Thanks,
>
>/dario

Uh, probably tunable with Oracle to make it go better.  I dont know that=20
DCO2 per se will make things better or worse.  The latest CVS builds=20
have tracing disabled by default, which speeds things up about 25%.  I'd=20
use caching on SQL methods to try to cache the lists so they got "saner"=20
rather than querying the db over and over and over for the same results.

I get very snappy response times for things.

Also the patch I *just* sent out (maybe I sent it to zope-dev? )  uses=20
float(result[i]) and it should really use str() not float()... the=20
problem is you PROBABLY want to be able to represent dates before the=20
unix epoch of 1969!

Fortunately DateTime was able to take the string representation and run=20
with it.