[Zope-DB] support

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:04:24 -0400

D.Rick Anderson wrote:

>Your help thus far has been greatly appreciated, but I'm still unable to establish this connection. [...] I just can't understand the problem with this
>libclntsh.so.8.0. No matter how I install Oracle that file isn't put ANYWHERE on my machine. The doc
>in ZOracleDA say that you can download the client from technet.oracle.com, but I have been unable
>to find it thus far.
>
>Thanks again for your help,
>
>Rick

CC'ing zope-db because others may find this useful (or not).

Well, when we say "download the client form Oracle" it ends up meaning
"download the entire Oracle install image for your platform."

What OS are you installing to, and what version of the Oracle software
are you installing?

On a more recent system and Oracle (RedHat 7.1 and Oracle 9i I did last
week) I got errors during the installer when it was trying to re-link
libclientsh.so, and I just went into $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh and
found the section that read

LD_SELF_CONTAINED="-z defs"

and changed it to

LD_SELF_CONTAINED=""

and then I was able to run the step that was failing over again.  I
*think* this was the pl/sql make in $ORACLE_HOME/plsql/lib/ins_plsql.mk
-- so that was something like

    su - oracle

    export ORACLE_HOME=/my/path/to/oracle

    cd $ORACLE_HOME/plsql/lib

    make -f ins_plsql.mk

    make -f ins_plsql.mk install

Those steps ended up invoking genclntsh which will build (or rebuild)
the libclntsh.so file.